Saturday, July 10, 2010

An Adventure

For most of yesterday and today, everything we have with us has been packed into our car. Living in temporary housing is just that - temporary. Since we have been here for 30 days already, our time was technically up. To 'restart the clock', we had to pack everything up, check out, stay off base for a night, and then check back in this afternoon. The exciting part was packing our rather small car to the absolute max. Little Man had to be buckled into his car seat, and then have our belongings packed in around him. In order to get him out, half of the back seat had to be unpacked; we tried to time things with his naps, so he wouldn't be hungry right as we got everything finished. Husby was around to help pack the car since he's working swing shift right now and doesn't have to go in to work until the afternoon - I don't know what I would have done without him!

Yesterday, we checked out at 11am and were able to check into our room in town at 12pm, which meant only having to have the baby in the car for a little over an hour. He slept like an angel - thank you, Lord! Today, however, was a bit of a different story ...

Husby had to be at work at 0700 this morning, but check out wasn't until noon - I didn't want to check out early, because it meant having Little Man stuck in the car for that much longer. So we took Daddy to work, and then I was in charge of packing up the baby and all the things that had been unpacked into our second-floor hotel room on my own. Let me tell you, it was a challenge. We checked out slightly after noon (oops!) and headed to the base. I checked with temp housing, but they weren't going to have a room available until at lease 2pm, so we were stuck in the car. Fun. Around 1pm, guess who needed to be fed? That's right, the baby who was packed into my back seat. We didn't have anywhere to go, so he and I sat in the parking lot outside Daddy's office to nurse. That was a delicate procedure - I won't even attempt to explain how we did it. I somehow managed to get him back into his seat, and at 2:30pm we were finally able to check into our new temp home. Little Man and I spent about 3 hours in the car continuously - we were so ready to get out!

Little Man has been taking a nap (what an blessing!), so I was able to put him in our room and spend the last half an hour or so unpacking the back seat and most of the trunk - what's left are the heavy suitcases I need Husby to bring in. We're officially settled in our mini-apartment for the time being. And I'm exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment