Friday, July 16, 2010

Standing for Jesus

Little Man loves to practice standing!
Here he is with Daddy, having a blast:


Like my mother before me, I've taken to singing "Stand up, Stand up for Jesus" to him while we practice. I can't remember if she sang the whole hymn, a single verse, or just that first line, but my mom's voice pops into my head every time my little guy wants to stretch his leg muscles, and I can't help but sing along:

"Stand up, stand up for Jesus,
Ye soldiers of the cross;
Lift high His royal banner,
It must not suffer loss.
From victory unto victory
His army shall He lead,
Till every foe is vanquished,
And Christ is Lord indeed."

I tend to use the whole first verse as a timer, gauging how long he can stand in one session by how much I can get through before he takes a 'sit break'. So far, we've both been thoroughly enjoying it.

While browsing around on YouTube, I came across this rendition of the hymn, and I love it! According to this website, they skipped a couple of verses, but Little Man doesn't care and neither do I. This hymn is quickly becoming one of our favorites (plus, their harmony warms my music-deprived heart).

1 comment: