Monday, December 13, 2010

Not-so-Urgent Emergency

Poor Little Man has been under the weather, and the worrier in me felt the need to take him to the doctor. He's been congested and coughing, occasionally having a hard time breathing, and I was concerned. Add to that his vomiting this morning at breakfast, and I knew he needed to be seen today. The only problem was that there were no appointments available with the Pediatric clinic. Unsure of my other options, I called the TriCare desk. "Oh, just take him to the Emergency room", she told me. Even though it's not really an emergency? Apparently, that's what you do here. So, I packed up my baby boy and called Husby to let him know we were going to the hospital. A frightened Daddy met us at the door, checked on his son, and helped me get us registered. Once I had a chance to explain the whole situation, Husby relaxed a bit; his son was not truly in an emergent situation.

Little Man was feeling better by the time we were seen, and we felt a little silly having brought our smiling, waving child to the Emergency room. Still, we wanted to be sure that he wasn't developing an ear or sinus infection, or had come down with something more serious than a common cold. After a full examination, it was determined that he's fine. A few nasal saline drops and a bulb syringe will clear him right up, and he should be back to normal in a few days. We've been sent home with simple instructions, and it's up to me to help him feel better. I'm praying that my Mommy instincts kick in and take over ...

No comments:

Post a Comment