Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snatched

There I was, snapping photos of the boys as they enjoyed the view. Daddy & Uncle A were teaching Little Man all about the gulf as we sat on the end of a pier, way out over the water. An Asian woman came up to admire the baby - not an uncommon occurrence, but one that always puts us on guard - and put her hands out for him to play with her. Uninterested, Little Man ignored her advances, which only strengthened her resolve. After a moment of uninterpretable mutterings [we assume she didn't speak English], she scooped Little Man right out of Uncle A's arms.

Immediately, my Mommy Instincts kicked in, and I snatched him right out of her ams. "No, no, no, no, no ..." I was repeating, but she didn't seem to understand. He laid his head on my shoulder, and she continued her attempt to communicate with him, refusing to allow more and a few inches of space between us.

"Did you get the photos you wanted?" Husby asked me. I nodded, still in shock. "Let's head home then." He led us off the pier as we both wondered if we would be followed. Thankfully, Crazy Lady stayed behind with her companions - who had watched our entire exchange as though nothing was awry.

No comments:

Post a Comment