Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Cloth Diapering

Any way you look at it, I'm a Conservative. The way I vote, my family's budget, our wardrobes, and RJ's full name are all illustrations of the deep conservative streak that runs through me. So when the idea of cloth diapering was brought to my attention, my first thought wasn't in favor. That's something liberals do; I'd never want to be like them, so why would I want to diaper my child in such a way? Nearly all the information on cloth diapering is accompanied by some tree-hugging, earth-friendly, do-it-for-the-environment schpeal, and since I didn't want to deal with all that - or worse, become one of them - I put the whole thing off to the side, never to be thought of again. ...

... until I got re-acquainted with a friend from childhood (in actuality, her little sisters were my friends, she was just the bigger sister who I knew in passing). She also comes from a conservative family. And she cloth diapers her babies. Could there be more to this than liberal fanatics ranting about saving the planet? I was willing to hear what she had to say on the issue.

She won me over with the cost of diapering - cloth is significantly cheaper than disposables, even if you purchase the deluxe models and only wash once a week! But she also made some good points about the environmental impact - we are to be good stewards of what the Lord has given us, and washing diapers is much more steward-esq than throwing away a bundle that will take 500 years to degrade. I spent hours looking through the sites she sent me, and finally decided to take the plunge. 

Assisting my plunge are mid-range models of adorable absorbentness - and these are not your grandmother's cloth diapers. No folding, pinning, and covering with plastic pants. These all-in-one mess-holders are as easy to use as disposables, and much cuter. Not to mention the fact that they're much softer on baby's skin, meaning less irritation and rash - I can definitely go for that!

So far, my stash is made up of 3 bumGenius 3.0s and 8 bumGenius 4.0s. Since RJ is moving into the toddler stage, we're changing less often in a day, and I plan to wash every other day (or every day, if needed), so I don't anticipate the need for additional supply until Baby is born.


Included in my order from CottonBabies was a roll of 100 flushable liners (so we can just dump the poop in the toilet and not have to touch it - yuck!), an extra set of 3 bumper inserts for overnights, and a travel-size wet bag for when we're changing on-the-go. Since my order was over $100, they threw in a free pair of babylegs (leggings for babies!) as well. All in all, about $175 left the bank account, equally what we'd spend in 6 months of diapering with disposables. I plan to reuse most of what we have now when Baby gets here (the 3.0s are Medium, so we'll have to wait a bit to get to those), meaning years of worth for a small fraction of the cost. I know I'll need more for infant diapering (especially in the newborn stage), but even doubling what we've already spent won't even come close to what disposables would cost.


1 comment:

  1. yea!!! Thanks for the shout out :) Glad I was such a help for you!

    ReplyDelete